Now enrolling for Fall Nature Journaling Classes!
Intro to Nature Journaling Level 1- Check here for information!
We may see the forest on our work commute, or a deer on the side of the road, but do we really SEE the natural world?
- What kind of hedge is growing at your home or nearest neighbor’s?
- Is the largest tree on your block deciduous or evergreen?
- What month do the daffodils in your neighbor’s yard bloom?
- How many crows were on that tree you saw this morning?
Learn how to slow down, get comfortable with being outside and develop a keener sense of awareness in nature.
What time in Nature can do for you:
- Recharge your “batteries”
- Restore a feeling of calm and being centered during times of stress
- Positive effects, such as improving your sense of well-being and uplift mood
- Reduce heart rate and blood pressure
- Physiologically, shifts our system from fight-or-flight mode to rest-and-restore mode
- Give a sense of perspective when you are feeling overwhelmed
- Boosts creativity and memory
Keeping a nature journal opens our eyes to unseen beauty.
We make careful observations, and record them on the page.
Suddenly, we begin seeing, sensing, hearing and smelling more of the natural world.
Learn how you can keep a nature journal to deepen your nature connection, observational, naturalist and drawing skills, and spark a sense of wonder and curiosity.
- Intro to Nature Journaling – Level 1
- Intro to Nature Journaling – Level 2
- Nature Journaling- Level 3
- Coming soon! Become a Better Birder through Nature Journaling
Monterey Bay Nature Journal Club
Are you stuck on a plateau in your nature journaling? Looking for a spark of inspiration?
Are you an educator using nature journaling in your class, and need support?
Guided Nature Walks
Experience your nearby nature with new intention so that you can begin to see the extraordinary in the ordinary. With this approach you’ll start to see the world differently, as if a window opened up allowing you to see another perspective. Nature walks and birding walks.
Nature-inspired crafts and creativity Workshops:
Use nature to nurture your creative expression. Creativity reduces feelings of stress, and helps to develop your intuitive sense and inner guidance.
Deepen your awareness in nature with guided exercises, and learn how to quickly and easily get a dose of nature in a busy, technology-driven world to bring calm, peace and balance to your life.
Private & Small Groups:
Tide pool and Rocky Shore exploration
Learn from an expert marine biologist and naturalist all about tide pool life, the animals and organisms that live there, and go out on guided expeditions to local tide pools and rocky beaches. You’ll never see the tide pools the same way after experiencing this series.
Monterey Bay is rich with a diversity of marine birds. Learn from a marine bird ecologist about the variety of birds that live or migrate to Monterey Bay. Learn how to identify them, field identification tips, and take a peek into their habits.
About Melinda Nakagawa:
I’m a naturalist, biologist, and educator living on the central California coast. I love taking people out into nature and guiding them in practices that reawaken the senses, develop the ability to see the unseen, spark wonder and curiosity, and deepen a relationship with the natural world.
For the past 18 years, I’ve worked as a marine biologist, educator, and naturalist, and completed graduate work at Moss Landing Marine Labs. I currently offer classes in nature journaling, birding and nature awareness online and in person, students and adults.
Contact me if you have any questions or would like to learn more about my programs.
Follow my Facebook page: facebook.com/sparkinNature