Intro to Nature Journaling: Level 2- Fall 2020
Registration open Now. Save your spot!
After Level 1 course, continue to expand and reinforce your nature journal skills.
Learn more tools and strategies to enrich your journal pages.
Practice and learn with others!
Join the Intro to Nature Journaling Level 2 course
Open to those who’ve completed Intro to Nature Journaling Level 1 course.
We’ll integrate and deepen what we’ve covered so far:
- Foundations for keeping a nature journal
- Practice techniques to improve sensory awareness,
- Reinforce your drawing and naturalist skills,
- Move beyond potential mental roadblocks,
- Cultivate this practice in your life.
And learn new topics:
- Words: Labels, analogies, thoughts, observations, and more
- Pictures: Drawings, diagrams, and icons
- Numbers: Measurements, counts, estimates, and more
- Build on your observations-what to do next to deepen exploration
- Get outside: Gear, supplies, tips on field sketching
- Knowledge of Place: from Soil to Sky, Maps, landscapes
- Continuing your nature journal practice, sharing to learn
- Observational drawings: Birds, Flowers, and plants
After this class, you will have gained the tools to:
- see nature more deeply and develop naturalist skills
- be more confident in drawing and recording nature in your journal.
- know how to set up your nature journal pages
- cultivate a sense of curiosity and wonder
- deeper sense of connection with the natural world
- have a tool kit of activities for further developing your skills
And if you are someone who thinks they can’t draw, not to worry. Drawing is a skill that improves with some guidance and practice, so anyone CAN learn to draw.
In nature journaling, we focus on the process (of observing nature) over creating a product (of a pretty page). Join us and you’ll get the basics to get started building your skills!
Thursdays, 4pm Pacific
Begins November 5
Dates: Nov 5, 12, 19, Dec 3, 10, and 17, 2020.
Cost $179 tuition
- 6 weekly live online sessions (recording available)
- Private group for the class: digital bulletin board to share pages, and ask questions between classes
- Bonus 30-min private call with Melinda for personalized guidance
- Class handouts
- Recordings of all classes
Supplies Needed: Have a journal, and pencils.
Other optional items: Colored pencils or watercolor. Water brush
- To register: Send an email with your name, email address and Phone number.
- Make your payment here
- After your payment is received you will get an email confirmation.
Payment options and tuition assistance available, please ask.
If you’d like to help a fellow nature journaler attend this class, donations to the scholarship fund are grateful accepted.
Your instructor: Melinda Nakagawa
Hi, I’m Melinda. I’ve committed much of my life to guiding people into nature so they can developing a deeper relationship with the natural world. Nature journaling bridges nature, art, and science together. It expands our understanding of nature and creates lasting memories.
I’ve kept a nature journal for over 22 years, and its evolved quite a bit over that time. Let me share with you what I have learned on my journey, so you can jump right into nature journaling with confidence!
What students are saying about this class:
“Melinda has a great way of acknowledging all levels and honoring them. I appreciated her science background and how she encouraged us.” -Laura Callaghan
“My drawing confidence has increased tremendously. I definitely look at nature with a new lens. I’m more curious (and I am already pretty curious!) Melinda is super encouraging and very knowledgeable as well as experienced (she’s been journaling for years and years). I love that she shows us her own process in the live video classes and shared her journal pages with us. Very inspiring!” – Gurusurya Kaur
“Melinda breaks everything down really simply and explains things well. She demonstrate things well and is very supportive and encouraging. I am now more confident in how to and what to journal. The class kept me engaged in completing pages throughout the week.” -Hollie Mansfield
“This class exposed me to many elements of art and drawing in digestible and non-threatening ways. As a result of the class, I am more observant and curious and I notice more things in nature than I did before. Melinda opened my eyes and mind to the fun of nature journaling. Her helpful comments about the flexibility of nature journaling freed me from intimidation and judgment.” -Constance Constable